Leadership Team Meeting
ATTENDANCE: Kim Bishop, Chair, Kristy Peralta: EC, Sherrie Carson: Encore, Robbie Mansfield: PE, Pam Herndon: 7th grade, Allison Santoro: 8th grade, Christopher Reeves: Media, Donna Reynolds: CF, Dawn Hosmer: Classified, Emily McCollum: Guidance, Ron Luciano: 7th grade AP, Lorie Rainey: 8th grade AP, Denise Richmond: Principal/6th, Jhorghan Bunn: Parent Rep, Denise Cole: Parent Rep, Gina Jordan: Parent Rep.
Meeting called to order at 4:18
• Intramurals: Next year intramurals will continue as they have this year, all students from all grade levels on one day, to minimize schedule disruptions and simplify scheduling.
• Field Day: The possibility of holding field day on 3 consecutive days was discussed. However, this will not occur. Field days will be on the previously published dates: 5/25—6th grade, 6/1—7th grade, 6/4—8th grade. On June 1 field day supplies will be cleared by 1:00.
• 8th grade dance: Set up for the 8th grade dance can begin after 1:00 on June 1.
• Tiger Camp: Next year Tiger Camp will take on a different format. On August 23, 2012 there will be a combined Tiger Camp and 6th grade open house. This will allow parents to join their students in learning their schedules and meeting teachers. A final plan will be determined by administration and 6th grade teachers.
• Field Trips: Please notify the cafeteria of ALL field trips so they can plan accordingly.
• Accelerated Reader (AR): Beginning July 1, 2012, AR and STAR Reading are moving to an online format that required an annual contract. Mr. Reeves presented price quotes for these services as well as advantages and disadvantages for moving to this format. Further discussion will take place in Language Arts content meetings and reported back to the leadership team.
• Signs for hallways: Leadership approved signage for the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade hallways created by Ms. Creef and her students. The signs will be created directly on the surfaces at the beginning of those hallways rather than hung for safety reasons.
• Schedule disruptions: A request was made for limited schedule disruptions between spring break and end-of-grade testing.
• Pep Rally and Spirit Week: There will be a pep rally at 2:30 on Monday, June 4. Spirit Week will be June 4-7.
• Testing: Please remember that there will be students testing in our building nearly every day between now and the end of the year. Remind students to be aware of testing as they move through the building.
• Master Calendar: A large master calendar has been ordered. It will be installed in Ms. Reynolds room and should be used by all to record activities for the year.
• Dates: If you coordinate any of the following activities please give 2012-2013 dates to your Leadership Team representative to be presented at the next meeting.
o Band concerts, Chorus concerts, Intramurals, PD Common Core, PD On Course, Critical Friends
• Bylaws: Kim will email bylaws to the leadership team for a final vote of approval.
• Summer Meeting: Leadership team will meet on Monday, June 11 at 9:00.
Meeting Adjourned: 5:25
Leadership Team Minutes 2/14/2012
Meeting called to order at 4:23
· Student vs. Teacher Competition: Student Council and Coach McAllister are working to either come up with some sort of academic bowl or student/teacher basketball game. More information to come later once details are worked out.
· SMOD-Please remain vigilant about SMOD. Make sure students are tucking in their shirts and wearing belts. Administration is not concerned about the tightness of pants. In order to reinforce SMOD, teams may utilize their team consequences, and ISS for lunch may be used as a consequence for repeat SMOD violators if deemed necessary by administration.
· Lunch- Please walk your students all the way into the cafeteria. Also, your "back-up" seating chart must be placed in the grade level folder in the cafeteria. Encore teachers will utilize this seating chart if there is a problem at your lunch table.
· Lunch times- Administration may switch lunch times for 7th and 8th grade next year.
· Morning Show- Please watch the morning show. Club information and important announcements are shared during the show. Since some students are going to lockers and 8th grade is transitioning to Encore, Mr. Reeves is working on a way to possibly get the information out in an email so the staff will have that information if it was missed.
· Vertical Teaming-Discussion was held about making sure vertical team meetings are concise and to the point in order to keep teachers out of the classroom for the minimum amount of time. There was discussion about maybe dispensing this information through staff meetings or maybe rotating the vertical team schedule so that the same class isn't being missed every month when teachers attend vertical team meetings.
· Bylaws- The bylaws of the leadership team were discussed are to be implemented next year. Some changes made/discussed were:
o Having one member of the team serve as secretary to keep notes and time
o Discussed possibly going back to electing leadership team reps. Hopefully, there will be enough interest in serving on the team that we can hold elections instead of begging people to be on the team J
Meeting adjourned at 5:19
Leadership Team Meeting : Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 Meeting called to order at 7:33am
In attendance: Kim Bishop, Kristy Peralta, Sharon McDaniel, Robbie Mansfield, Jamie Reep, Allison Santoro, Chris Reeves, Donna Reynolds, Dawn Hosmer, Emily McCollum, Ron Luciano, Lorie Rainey, Denise Richmond
• Copy Paper Dilemma: Be very cautious/careful as we do not have extra money to purchase extra paper as we have in the past. From December 1 until we left for break we went through 30 cases of paper. Mr. Ray will be delivering a case of paper to each ELA teacher for their team (EC will receive a case as will PE and encore) to be determined among the team how to distribute. This needs to last you until March 1.
• Jamestown United Methodist Church: will soon be providing healthy snacks for students staying after school for tutoring. Hopefully this will be an incentive for students to stay and will help them be attentive as many of them had lunch early and by 4 pm are in need of something to eat. Lauren Merritt (Libby’s daughter) is helping to coordinate this as a part of her senior project. Please let Libby know a headcount of how many kids you have staying so an appropriate number of snacks can be purchased.
• AESOP: Please remember to note that subs need to be here by 8:15…although the school start time is noted by the system many subs are not arriving until much later; thereby leaving students unsupervised . Placing it in the teacher's notes section will hopefully call attention to the expectation and help aleve the problem! Also be sure you note that you have a morning/afternoon duty. You don’t have to go into detail about duty just note that you have it and that further instructions are in your sub notebook. Even if you talk to the sub be sure to leave the information in the system so Dawn has the documentation .
• E-Readers: Although we have an electronics policy, other schools have come up with “Acceptable Use and Policy” terms for e-readers . We are looking at what other school are implementing and at this point would like for students who bring one to school to have it registered in the media center. This way we know that parents are aware that the student has it at school and we also have a record of the make/model/serial number in case it happens to “disappear”. As we are responsible to growing 21st century learners we want them to have the technology in their hands whenever possible .
• Report Card Pick Up: Monday, January 30 from 4-6. Student led conferences and signing PEP’s when possible. Please note you may want to schedule parents to come in during your planning period for conferences/PEP’s signing and that the workdays are also available for you to schedule parents to come in and view their child’s PEP online.
• Motivational Speaker: We are awaiting more information about the possibility of having Miles Dean come and speak to our students.
• RDP: A reminder that the warning bell is just a signal for the teacher to begin to wrap up and that students are dismissed by the teacher and not by the bell. Also continue to monitor students outside the cafeteria and remind your students to use the “ENTER” and “EXIT” doors appropriately.
Meeting adjourned at 8:20am
Due to scheduling issues there was no quorum meeting of the Leadership Team in December.
Leadership Team Meeting : Tuesday, November 8th, 2011
Meeting called to order at 7:36
In attendance: Kim Bishop, Kristy Peralta, Sharon McDaniel, Robbie Mansfield, Jamie Reep, Allison Santoro, Chris Reeves, Donna Reynolds, Dawn Hosmer, Emily McCollum, Ron Luciano, Lorie Rainey, Denise Richmond, Jhorghan Bunn, Denise Cole, Gina Jordan
• School Improvement Plan: Updates need to be made by November 18th. Grade level representatives have been asked to get feedback regarding ELA and Math goal improvement strategies. To date, input includes:
o Updating common assessments based on benchmark 1 data
o Incorporating balanced literacy strategies
o Utilizing tutors
o SRA to fill the gaps
o Offering tutoring: specific deficits addressed
• Discipline: Trend for ISS continues to be mostly 6th graders followed by 7th and then 8th with very few students OSS. Our goal is to reduce the number of referrals for Rules 6(noncompliance) & 8(verbal harassment). Pro-active measures currently being used include: 1-1 meetings with the student , parent conferences, informal conversations with administrators in the hallway/classroom, positive behavior rewards or incentives, modeling and teaching desired expectation.
• Departmental Orders: Orders must be turned in by Friday, November 18th
• AESOP: Please remember to note that subs need to be here by 8:15…although the school start time is noted by the system many subs are not arriving until much later; thereby leaving students unsupervised . Placing it in the teacher’s notes section will hopefully call attention to the expectation and help aleve the problem! Also be sure you note that you have a morning/afternoon duty. You don’t have to go into detail about duty,,just note that you have it and that further instructions are in your sub notebook.
• Elevator: Kids have been hitting the button numerous times (imagine that) causing the elevator to lock up and burn out the circuit board; therefore, Mr. Luciano has locked the elevator. Several people have a key. If you have a student that needs to use the elevator please let Mr. Luciano know so arrangements can be made.
• Date to add to the school calendar:
o Thursday, May 3-Builder’s Club Beach Bash
o Friday, May 11- GCS Energy Wise Celebration
Meeting adjourned at 8:00
Leadership Team Meeting
In attendance: Kim Bishop (chair), Kristy Peralta, Sherrie Carson, Robbie Mansfield, Jamie Reep, Allison Santoro, Pam Herndon (on behalf of student council), Chris Reeves, Donna Reynolds, Dawn Hosmer, Emily McCollum, Ron Luciano, Lorie Rainey, Denise Richmond, Jhorghan Bunn, Gina Jordan
Kim Bishop called the meeting to order at 4:17pm
Topics of Discussion:
· Dr. Richmond's meeting with 8th grade student council: Student council would like to see more jean/casual days, club days, sit where they want in the cafeteria, school-wide activities such as academic competitions between students and teachers, and team building activities.
o Leadership addressed the following possibilities:
§ Ms. Rainey addressed allowing 8th grade to sit where they want only if the proper procedures were in place; a possibility for Wednesdays.
§ Starting in December: last Friday of each month will be a different type of casual dress day to be determined on the Morning Show the prior Friday; it will be included on the Sunday night all-call.
§ Academic Clubs for next year: students would get academic enrichment in core/encore areas in a club day setting, rotating through different content; leadership is still working on details.
§ Organizing an "academic bowl" type competition between students and teachers
· Pam Herndon/Student Council
o Student Council is focusing on 3 areas this year:
§ Communication - calendars at the end of each hall; see Ms. Herndon's email
§ Ways to increase school spirit
§ Bullying - each month will address bullying in a different way*
· Oct - door campaign
· Nov - kindness, pass it on
· Jan - anti-bullying commercials on morning show
· Feb - guest speakers
· Mar - poster campaign/bracelet sale with a dance on March 15th
*Ms. Herndon will send out further explanations in emails
o United Way Jean Days - November 4th and November 18th
§ Students are allowed to wear jeans if they make a donation in ANY AMOUNT, A/A teachers keep track of who has donated.
· October 21st is wear pink/wear jeans day for breast cancer awareness month
· Pencil sharpeners: hand crank onescan't be mounted in the classrooms
· EC modifications must be followed in every classroom; every grade level
o Modifications on IEPs must be implemented in every classroom
o If you need a person to read aloud a test to a group of students, please email Ms. Peralta - she will arrange someone to read aloud for you; especially science and social studies classes with only 1 teacher. Please make sure to give her several days' notice, time of day needed and number of students to be tested. You can also narrate tests into a PowerPoint slide show or use Voice Thread.com for narration. Directions soon to come.
· If you or your students are hanging posters in the building, please make sure they are removed when the program has ended.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:24
Leadership Team Meeting September 13, 2011
Meeting called to order at 7:35am
In attendance: Kim Bishop, Kristy Peralta, Sharon McDaniel, Jamie Reep, Allison Santoro, Chris Reeves, Donna Reynolds, Dawn Hosmer, Ron Luciano, Lorie Rainey, Denise Richmond, Jhorghan Bunn, Denise Cole, Gina Jordan
· What sort of cultural Arts assemblies do we want to have this year? ~ Short plays, motivational speakers, bands that play middle school appropriate music, Shakespearean group, author talk (possibly linked to re-enactments from the book)
· Service Learning Projects: Please let your grade level reps know of any projects you have in mind for this year . Discussion of pairing up with Haynes Inman. They have students from grades K-12 and are in need of books of interest for the older students as well as chapter books .It was suggested that we start a book buddy club/ neighbors helping neighbors project to have some of our students go over and read with them.
o If you have RDP posters that are NOT laminated, please turn them in to your grade level rep so we can get them laminated and back to you
o RDP rep will be sharing a list of jobs with you that you may choose from to assign to your students (not all are applicable to every class…just choose the ones that will work for your classroom)
o If you have not yet submitted your classroom mgt plan to Mrs. Rainey please do so ASAP…the template was sent out electronically on 7/25 and resent today for your reference.
o Please submit your sub plans if you have not already done so; also be sure when you put your absence into AESOP that you include your morning and afternoon duties.
o Please submit a mode of transportation form for your 4th block if you have not already done so. Include bus number for all bus riders.
o Look for RDP posters to go up throughout the building so that "the walls teach".
· Budget: Once the budget has been broken down leadership will send out allotments to the various areas.
· Other: Mrs. Rainey would like to apologize for communicating the wrong dates to Mrs. Herndon thereby leading to the erroneous dates going out for Spirit Week.
Meeting adjourned at 8:02am
Respectfully submitted by Donna Reynolds