Guilford County Schools Professional Development Policies
GCS Course Registration Policy
1.Participants must register for approved GCS/site-based courses. Any person who attends a course but does not register before the last day of the course will not receive CEU credit. Participants have until the last day of the workshop to register.
2. For security reasons, GCS no longer requires participants to provide their social security numbers when signing the attendance sheet. As a result, the only way renewal credit can be awarded to the correct person is for the participants to register online for the course they attend. Signed attendance sheets are matched to those who registered for the courses. Participants who fail to register or fail to sign rosters at each session will not receive credit. Participants have until the last day of the workshop to register.
3. CEU credit cannot be awarded for any course with less than five (5) hours of instruction. CEUs are granted for no more than 6 hours of staff development per day.
4. CEUs are awarded based on the number of hours of training: a five-hour training is awarded .5 CEUs; a six-hour training is awarded .6 CEUs; and a ten-hour training is awarded 1.0 CEUs, etc.
5. Credit cannot be awarded to participants for leadership committee meetings, accreditation committees, project teams, field trips, or for workshops offered during planning periods.
7. Participants with scheduling conflicts with more than one course should only register for courses in which they can attend 100%.
8. Substitutes, tutors, retired personnel, and non-GCS employees may register for courses if space is available, but available seats will be given to full-time GCS employees first. Some courses are designed specifically for GCS personnel; therefore, they are not open to non-GCS employees.
Guilford County Schools - Outside GCS Event Policy
1. Renewal credit can be awarded only for courses, workshops, seminars, or activities that are directly related to an employee's area(s) of licensure and/or professional responsibilities. However, such responsibilities as serving on curriculum or accreditation committees, chairing departmental meetings, sponsoring student activities, and attending certain conferences and clinics do not carry license renewal credit.
In addition, consistent with the district’s desire to minimize disruptions to the instructional process, the Office of Professional Development will avoid approving renewal credit for activities that occur during student instructional time unless attendance is authorized by the principal.
2. Prior approval is required for all renewal credit events that are offered by any entity other than the Guilford County Schools, including state/DPI sponsored events, colleges, universities, technical schools, and community colleges. "Prior Approval" means that an employee desiring renewal credit for a particular event must request approval before the start date of the event. Employees are encouraged to request approval three (3) weeks before the event begins.
Requests submitted after the ending date of the event will not be approved. Prior approval is necessary to comply with state regulations, which require an LEA to determine the appropriateness of awarding renewal credit for a specific event in advance of the event. Prior approval also helps to avoid misunderstandings regarding qualifying events and reduces the possibility of an employee paying to enroll in an event for which renewal credit will not be awarded.