Arrival and/or Dismissal
The safety of our students, staff and visitors is a priority at Northern Elementary. The parking lots at our school can be very dangerous during arrival and dismissal times. Parents and students are to obey staff and signage on campus and be very cautious when traveling through parking lot areas.
Those parents who choose to bring and/or pick up their children from school by automobile will observe the following guidelines:
1. The building does not open for students until 7:20 a.m. Children will not be allowed to exit cars until the bell brings and an adult is on duty. Safety Patrol Students will arrive at 7:15 a.m.
2. Parents are to use the entrance designated as "Car Rider" entrance ONLY. DO NOT use the Bus Entrance during arrival and dismissal times. Parents will NOT enter in the One Way section of the drive.
3. All automobiles should unload in the drop-off zone only (the sidewalk in front of the school). You will NOT be allowed to drop your child(ren) off in the visitor parking lot, the circular staff parking area or the bus area.
4. We encourage all parents to drop their children off along the sidewalk; however, if you choose to escort your child into the building, please park in a parking space in the parking lot. Students will NOT be permitted to cross the street without the parent. Respect those that are dropping their children off in the car rider line. For your safety, we ask that you wait to be directed prior to walking across the street.
5. When dismissing students , parents are NOT to park and walk up to get their children from designated dismissal lines. Students are NOT allowed to leave without the permission of a staff member.
Arrival and dismissal can be a lengthy process, but to assure that the lines move expeditiously, please assist us with the following procedures:
1. When arriving to school, students are encouraged to have their seatbelts unbuckled and book bags/school supplies ready. To insure students' safety, students are to exit upon the right side of the car as it reaches the sidewalk, and are also encouraged to open their door to exit the vehicle.
2. When picking up your child, it is important to be on time. Students not picked up by 2:35 p.m. will be escorted to the office for pick-up, and the parent will need to park and enter the building to receive their child.
3. If a student is to be dismissed with another student, BOTH parents must send permission in writing. This information will need to be sent to the office for approval.
Bus transportation is provided for students. Please be sure to have your child at the bus stop at least five to ten minutes earlier than the designated time. If your child misses the school bus, please make every effort to get him/her to school.
Encourage your child to use good conduct and self-control on the bus. If any problems arise, students should report problems to the driver immediately, and parents should report student discipline or safety concerns to an administrator. Students who cause 8 disturbances on the bus are endangering the lives of others and will lose their privilege of riding the bus if such disturbances occur.
A student may not ride a different bus home without written permission from his/her parents and prior approval of the office.
All notes should be taken or sent to the office in the morning. Students will not be granted permission if they wait until they board the bus to receive permission.
A student who does not usually ride a bus home in the afternoon cannot ride the bus without approval from the Bus Transportation office. Therefore, the administrators and other Northern personnel cannot give permission for this situation.
1. Children checked out prior to 2:25 p.m. must be signed out in the office. Do not go to the child's class or playground area to retrieve your child. Children who are picked up early must be checked out by office personnel. Our teachers will NOT release children until this procedure has been followed.
2. If anyone other than the parent or legal guardian is to pick up a child at school, the office must have written permission from the parent or legal guardian for that person to take the student off campus.
We frequently receive calls asking the office to inform a student to ride a different bus or to be a car rider on a particular day. As we are unable to verify over the phone that it is the parent making the call, it puts the school in an unsafe position. Since we have the responsibility of protecting the safety of each child, we are not required to approve such requests; therefore, please send such request in writing BEFORE 1:30 p.m.
3. Checking students out just prior to 2:25 p.m. is discouraged.
We ask parents to allow teachers to have a dismissal free from interruption and confusion by waiting for students to exit with their teacher after the final bell rings. Disruptions can cause students to come home without homework assignments and books/materials that might be needed to complete assignments.