Beginning November 9, 2010, Guilford County School’s District Relations department began soliciting nominations for the naming of the proposed North Greensboro Area Elementary School.
At the December 7, 2010 meeting, the Board voted to study the following names and post on the district Web site for a public comment period in order to seek approval of the nominations at the first meeting in January.
- North Forest Elementary School
- David Caldwell Elementary School
- Ronald McNair Elementary School
- Paul B. Calhoun Elementary School
- Edward R. Murrow Elementary School
Note: Lake Townsend Elementary School was originally submitted as a proposed name but removed due to incomplete nomination information.
Comments received on behalf of the above mentioned names are attached.
After receiving two additional names past the nomination deadline, the Board voted at its December 21, 2010 meeting to reopen the nomination deadline until January 7, 2011. The following names, with appropriate documentation, were received:
- Julius A. Fulmore Elementary School
- D.M. Chrismon Elementary School
- Dr. William C. Parker Jr. Elementary School
- Leslie Dunn Elementary School
- Clarence H. Lovell Elementary School
- Melvin or Jim Melvin or E.S. Melvin Elementary School
- William H. Craft Elementary School
- George E. Preddy Elementary School
At the February 10, 2011 special called meeting, the Board will hear from community members who wish to speak on behalf of the 13 names that have been nominated in keeping with Board policy and procedures.
Please note that another 10 names were submitted without appropriate documentation and are not being presented to the Board for consideration.