Guilford County Schools (GCS) has one inclement weather day remaining as part of the 2010-11 Traditional Academic Calendar, Hampton Elementary University Partnership Magnet (Year-Round), and Early College at Greensboro College Calendar approved by the Board of Education last year.
The calendars for the Early College at Guilford College, GCS Middle Colleges and Academies, do not have any inclement weather days remaining.
With more inclement weather likely to occur this school year, we have three options to consider: 1) taking more days from spring break; 2) using Saturdays as make-up days for either students or staff; 3) placing additional days at the end of the school year.
After carefully reviewing these options, we recommend adding three days to each of the following calendars by:
- 2010-11 Traditional Academic Calendar –
- Using the Tues., March 29 as a student make-up day and moving the protected teacher workday currently on that date to Sat., April 2. As with other protected workdays, teachers would be able to use annual or personal leave, if desired.
- Adding two inclement weather days to the end of the school year, on Tues., June 14 and Wed., June 15.
- 2010-11 GCS Middle Colleges and Academies – Adding three days at the end of the school year, on Tues., May 31; Wed., June 1, Thurs., June 2
- 2010-11 GCS Year-round (Hampton) – Adding three days at the end of the school year, on Thurs., June 9; Fri., 10; Mon., 13
- 2010-11 Greensboro College Middle College – Adding three days at the end of the school year, on Fri., May 27, Tues., May 31, Wed., June 1
- 2010-11 The Early College at Guilford – Adding three days at the end of the school year, on Tues., May 31; Wed., June 1; Thurs., June 2
Since extended-year calendars already have additional days built in, no student make-up days are required. Principals determine staff make-up days for extended-year schools.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve posting the proposed changes for a limited public comment period (until Monday, Feb. 7) as presented for the 2010-11 Calendars: Traditional Academic, GCS Middle Colleges and Academies, GCS Year-round (Hampton Elementary University Partnership Magnet), Greensboro College Middle College, and The Early College at Guilford.
The proposed changes would then be voted on by the Board of Education at its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 8.