The NC Coaches Association’s 30-year lease of a 2,900 square-foot office building located on the Grimsley High School campus at 1101 Westover Terrace, Greensboro, is set to expire in October of 2011. This lease agreement, entered into in October of 1981 by the Greensboro City Board of Education, provided for no cash rental payment during the initial lease term, but it imposed an obligation on the Coaches Association to construct and thereafter maintain in a good condition of repair the office building in which the Association now operates.
The current lease agreement provides for its renewal upon terms and conditions which are mutually agreeable to both the Board of Education and the Coaches Association, and it encourages the successor school board dealing with possible lease renewal to consider the history of the relationship between the district and the Coaches Association.
The NC Coaches Association has provided benefit to Guilford County Schools, its students and employees and the Greensboro area, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Sponsorship of the Coaches Clinic in July of each year.
- Sponsorship of East-West All Star Games played at Jamison Stadium.
- A number of GCS employees and/or students are employed by the Coaches Association for this event.
- Through All Star Game gate receipts and food concession sales, the Coaches Association has provided various Jamison Stadium improvements through the years.
- Donation of new and used balls, coolers and training supplies to GCS athletic departments.
If the existing lease is renewed, the Coaches Association anticipates expending significant funds for future building maintenance and updating costs related to their existing offices for items such as:
- Roof replacement
- Parking lot resurfacing
- Furnace updating
- Tree & stump removal
- Interior repainting
- Carpet replacement
- Addition of energy efficient windows
All of these building improvements ultimately benefit GCS as the owner of the office building in question.
GCS legal counsel has reviewed this packet of materials.
RECOMMENDATION: The administration recommends that the board authorize the renewal of the lease of 1101 Westover Terrace, Greensboro, with the NC Coaches Association for a term extending from October 1, 2011, to and including September 30, 2021, and with a rental payment by the NC Coaches Association during this renewal term of $0.00 for each year and with the commitment of the association to maintain the building according to the terms of the lease.