When the Greensboro Cerebral Palsy and Orthodedic School opened on January 12, 1950, it had one paid employee and operated two afternoons a week. By the fall of 1950 the School was in operation five mornings a week.
In February of 1952, after a building fund drive, ground was broken at a donated building site . Much support was give by local firms, volunteers and the Greensboro Junior League. In September, 1953, the School began a full-time, five-day week program.
During the next 15 years, tremendous strides were made in adding services, programs, facilities, organization, and revising policies. Enrollment doubled. A new wing was added. The years between 1965-70 saw rapid growth due mainly to services provided through the Greensboro City Schools. Additional teachers, a librarian, a home economics, typing teacher were added. A secretary/bookeeper, pediatric clinic were also added as the enrollment increased.
The passage of the federal "Education of All Handicapped Children" Act in 1976 mandated that all handicapped persons aged 5 through 21 be provided free education in the public school. As a result, the Cerebral Palsy and Orthopedic School began to serve students from surrounding school districts. By 1979, the school received accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and was recognized as a model for programs for the handicapped.
In July, 1982, the school officially became part of the Greensboro Public School system. Since that time, the Greensboro Cerebral Palsy Association has purchased services for infants and toddlers while the merged Guilford County School system has supported care for all public school age children. The new Gateway Education Center facility opened its doors in June, 1983.
On September 21, 1990 ground was broken for a new wing at Gateway. This 1.3 millon project was jointly sponsored by the Greensboro Cerebral Palsy Association and the Greensboro Public School system in their continuing efforts to work together into the 21st century for special children. The new wing opened in January of 1992.
The year 2000 marked the Golden Anniversary of the Greensboro Cerebral Palsy Association commitment to quality programs for special needs children.