Welcome to Study Island
Our school now has access to a great resource for preparing our students for the state standardized tests. We have purchased a license for a web-based program called Study Island, which is accessible to students from school, home or anywhere there is an Internet connection.
This web site program gives our students the tools to study academic material in a fun and engaging way. Several choices of games, tests, and flashcards are provided for each content area. Our teachers are using Study Island to supplement the classroom curriculum. The online Report Card keeps track of student progress.
This site is easily navigated by students of all ages, who simply select an activity in a specific subject area and click the Open Checked button. Activities can be searched by keyword, grade level or subject area. Please check it out with your kids. We will be using it here at school!
We are excited about the potential benefits this program can bring to our students, and we encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity by using Study Island.
Log on is easy and simple for all Falkener students.
Follow the instructions below, in order to use the program:
- Go to www.studyisland.com
- Enter your username and password at the upper-left of the screen, and click "Login".
Note: Students will use their lunch number
- Click on the section tab (math, reading, etc.) that you wish to work on.
- Click the "Pretest" in order to begin the pretest for the section. You must complete 10 pretest questions before moving on to the topic in the section.
- Once you complete the "Pretest," you may work through the remainder of the topics in any order you like. You must "pass" all topics before taking the "Post Test".
- To pass a topic, you must satisfy the group's passing requirements which are based a minimum number of questions answered (usually 10) and a minimum percentage correct (around 70%). A blue ribbon icon is displayed next to all passed topics.
- Once you have passed all the topics in the section, you have to pass the "Post Test" for the section before the section is complete. Ignore this step if the section has no "Post Test".
- When you pass all topics in all sections, you have completed the program and will be well prepared to take the state test.
To access the Reports:
- After your child has logged in, select a subject from the left-hand side of the screen to access the reports. (See the screen shot below.)
- Here, you will find a variety of reports with information such as how much time your child has spent on various subjects, how they used their time, and what questions they missed. You will also be able to compare your child with other children in their class and in their state that are using Study Island. You can select reports by Subject or select the Summary option to get all subjects.
IXL...The Web's #1 Math Practice Site
We are pleased to tell you that we are using a Web site called IXL this year. IXL is a comprehensive math practice site with an unlimited number of math practice questions in hundreds of skills - all of which are aligned to state standards. One of the best things about IXL is that your child can access it from home, so you have a chance to see your child's progress!
To get your child started, please follow these easy steps:
•1. Go to http://www.ixl.com/ .
•2. Enter your child's username and password in the top right-hand corner and click Sign in .
(Note: The username and password will be provided separately.)
•3. Navigate to your child's grade level.
•4. Find a skill to practice by doing one of the following:
Select a specific skill to practice from the grade level homepage. This page is organized into categories. You can place your mouse over any skill to see a sample question and click on the link to begin. Or Click on the Awards tab. Each grade level has a gameboard with challenges for your child to conquer and virtual prizes to be uncovered. Place your mouse over any challenge to begin.
In addition to making math practice exciting, IXL is designed to help your child learn at their own pace. The Web site is adaptive and will adjust to your child's demonstrated ability level. The site also records all of your child's results, so you can monitor your child's progress anytime by clicking on the Reports tab.
We hope you'll encourage your son or daughter to use IXL daily. Here's to a year of working together to make math fun for your child!