The fact that astronomies change while the stars abide is a true analogy of every realm of human life and thought, religion not least of all. No existent theology can be a final formulation of spiritual truth.
- HARRY EMERSON FOSDICK
GCS is committed to creating an educational organization where a variety of persons and perspectives are welcome. We are committed to providing an environment where students and staff from all cultures and backgrounds may succeed.
Diversity Office Objectives
The Diversity Office will help to enhance the diversity profile of students, faculty, and administrative staff by developing innovative programs and training to improve systemic school climate.
- The Diversity Office will continually raise awareness of district policies and guidelines related to diversity and why their implementation is critical to student achievement and success.
- The Diversity Office will provide educational opportunities for all staff and personnel guiding them to tangible methods for implementing and integrating training concepts in their everyday work.
- The Diversity Office will conceptualize, define, assess, nurture and cultivate diversity as an institutional and educational resource and asset.
- The Diversity Office will serve in an advisory capacity to all diversity initiatives within the system.
- The Diversity Office will implement strategies designed to intentionally move the culture of the organization.
GCS Diversity Office Services
- Develops, coordinates and facilitates cultural & diversity training for all Guilford County Schools staff, faculty and personnel
- Represents issues of diversity to board members, superintendent and administrators
- Researches and identifies external resources, materials and information to supplement diversity training and follow-up
- Acts as a liaison to families, community partners and students to help address diversity concerns and issues
- Develops and coordinates diversity initiatives and events throughout the district
- Designs and implement cultural audits, surveys and other benchmark tools for measuring cultural change in the institution
- Assists schools and administration in reaching families of diverse background
- Provides for mediation and facilitation on issues of diversity
- Provides analysis and evaluation of district projects to ensure compliance with core "diversity" values
- Sponsors mini workshops, such as "Diversity Brown Bag Lunch Discussions" for members of board, staff and community
- Will sponsor the development of a Cultural Resource Room to provide staff, students and personnel with resources of materials, books, films and learning seminars to support growth.